How To Sell a Used Dell Laptop for Cash?
Give your gadgets a new life.
At Gadget Salvation, our mission is to contribute to the electronics reselling market as much as possible so that we extend the life of our gadgets and diminish waste. Our process is simple and seamless.
Answer a few questions and get an estimate.
Ship your gadget for free.
Get paid within two business days of our receiving your gadgets.
Have a preowned Dell laptop you no longer use? We can help you sell it for cash!
Do you have an unwanted Dell laptop sitting around collecting dust? Why not resell it for some extra cash then? This post will talk about everything one needs to know about selling their used Dell laptop.
Quick Tips for Preparing Your Used Dell Laptop for Resale
To recover a decent value out of your preowned Dell computer, be sure to do the following:
- Gather original accessories. A laptop must be sold with the charger, but if you have the original box, manuals, etc., it will not hurt to include them. In all likelihood, original packaging won’t add to the resale value, but it makes for an excellent shipping box if you choose to sell your Dell online.
- Back up your data. You probably want to save files stored on your Dell’s hard drive before you part ways with it. Most people rely on external drives for that reason, but Dropbox and Google Drive are both solid options to keep your backup on the cloud. Besides, you can access it anywhere there is an internet connection. Once you have backed up your stuff, proceed with erasing it from the Dell computer you are selling.
- Reset your Dell to factory settings. You can access the Dell recovery partition with the help of the F12 key. We dedicated an entire post on how to factory reset a Dell laptop last month. But be sure to follow the on-screen instructions and have your notebook plugged in to the power outlet throughout the entire restore process, to avoid bricking the system. The bricked laptop has a significantly lower resale price.
- Clean up your laptop from dirt, stains, and dust. If you want to get the maximum possible dollar offer, make your pre-owned computer look nice and appealing to potential buyers.
How to Sell a Dell Laptop For Cash Online
More and more gadget owners opt to resell their preowned devices online instead of posting them for sale locally on OfferUp or Craigslist or even listing on eBay. And it is understandable: most of us lead busy lives, and we have no time to deal with the whole resale process nor provide post-sale support.
Selling used laptops online, on the other hand, is an easy and fast process. And lucky for you, Dell owners, these computers are extremely popular among PC users, plus, many buyback companies are willing to pay a top price for a Dell.
So, to sell a Dell laptop for cash online, please follow these steps:
1. Calculate an Estimate
Pick a buyback site, get an online offer based on your Dell’s specs and condition, then check out to get a prepaid shipping label.
2. Ship Your Dell
Package the computer securely, seal the box well, and drop it off at the nearest carrier location.
3. Get Paid
Lastly, wait for your payment to clear. Any online buyback company normally processes payments within two business days of receiving and inspecting your Dell laptop. When it comes to forms of payment, it entirely depends on the site you choose, but all companies traditionally offer company checks. But if you want to get paid even faster, choose one that makes electronic payments (like PayPal, Zelle, Venmo, etc.).
Trade-in Value of a Used Dell Laptop
The resale value of your Dell laptop depends on its exact model, configuration, cosmetic and functional condition. Some Dell models hold better prices over time than others. For example, the high-end Dell Alienware series are in demand for years to come, while budget Inspiron laptops depreciate at a much higher rate:
- Dell Alienware m15 R3 gaming laptop with NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 graphics can be resold for up to $710*.
- A really old Dell Alienware M17x R4 2012 model still can be worth up to $180*.
- The budget Dell Inspiron 3585 AMD Ryzen 5 version is a much newer model, but its resale value caps at $194 because it’s a low-cost line.*
The resale value of a preowned Dell laptop depends on many factors: year make and model, processor type, overall working, and cosmetic condition. Besides, current demand and proposition on the recommerce marketplace also play a determining role. So, if your Dell laptop is not that old and still works well, expect a decent cash offer in return. Lastly, if you have any questions or are looking for an estimate, we at Gadget Salvation are always happy to help!
*Priced on 09/27/2021. Subject to change.