Where to Sell a Laptop in Chicago?
Give your gadgets a new life.
At Gadget Salvation, our mission is to contribute to the electronics reselling market as much as possible so that we extend the life of our gadgets and diminish waste. Our process is simple and seamless.
Answer a few questions and get an estimate.
Ship your gadget for free.
Get paid within two business days of our receiving your gadgets.
When selling a pre-owned laptop in Chicago, there are plenty of good reliable options, both in-person and online. And if you are new to reselling market, Google is a great place to start. A Chicago native should be able to pick quite a few local places, or maybe even sell the laptop, all while lounging on their couch!
This post will explore local marketplaces and provide a few quick tips on how to get your laptop ready for sale. We will also introduce you to an online recommerce platform to sell used laptops in Chicago quickly and securely.
Before You Sell Your Laptop
Where you decide to sell your laptop locally in the Chicago area or ship it elsewhere, there are a few things to do first. Prepare your used laptop for sale by following these steps:
- First, sign out and then remove any linked accounts.
- Back up any data and files you’d like to keep using Dropbox, Google Drive, or an external hard drive.
- Erase your information by performing a factory reset.
- Be sure to clean the laptop’s screen and chassis with a soft cloth to remove any dust and residue. Any buyer is looking for a clean device, even when buying it pre-owned. Residual wear can and likely will impact your laptop’s reselling value. But please do not use water to avoid liquid damage!
- Don’t forget your laptop’s charger. And if you have any other original accessories, it would not hurt to include them too. Please note, however, that things like a used laptop case, a spare adapter, or a cover will not add a dollar value to your total laptop estimate.
For more details on preparing your used laptop for sale, please check our How to sell your laptop for the most value post.
What Options Do I Have To Sell My Laptop in Chicago?
So your laptop is now clean and factory reset. It is time to look for buyers. There are several ways to go about it. But generally, we can narrow them down to the following two options:
- You can either sell your pre-owned laptop in person, using marketplaces like OfferUp, Craigslist, or Facebook.
- Or you can pick an online buy-back service in your area to assure a quicker sale.
Both options have their advantages and downsides, so let’s analyze them in a little bit more detail.
Online buy-back is one of the easiest and most convenient ways to sell pre-owned technology. For example, by selling your used laptop to a third-party company, you won’t have to worry about listing, taking pictures, communicating with interested parties, shipping, etc. This option is perfect if you are a busy professional who simply has no time for all that. Plus, there are tons of online buy-back services out there. And if you live in Chicago, we suggest looking into ones that are the closest to you. That way, you’ll cut shipping and wait times to a minimum and get paid faster!
If you are looking to upgrade your laptop to a newer model, it makes sense to look into Apple or Best Buy Trade-in programs. Both have online e-commerce buy-back platforms facilitated by third-party companies. But you can also take your laptop into a physical store to trade it in or recycle it. And let’s face it, we have quite a few Best Buys and two Apple Stores in Chicago metro area alone.
As to Facebook Marketplace, OfferUp, and Craigslist, those are great options if you want to sell your used laptop for cash. But prepare to invest some time and effort into selling on either of those platforms. It might not be an as quick or sure thing as selling it online.
Did you know that we buy used laptops, among other things, and are also located in Chicago? You bet! We started out back in 2008 on the west coast and moved to Chicago in 2010. And in 2011, we received accreditation from the Better Business Bureau.
Over the years, we have acquired a lot of experience in recommerce, which we use to improve our process continuously. At Gadget Salvation, we value your time, and that is why our online estimates are instant and upfront. In addition, we use several popular electronic payment processors, such as Zelle, Venmo, and PayPal, to make sure our payouts are quick and instant. But hey, if you are old-fashioned, we mail checks too!
Online Selling Process Step by Step
It’s easy. If you live in Chicago and want to sell a pre-owned computer to us, here is what you need to do:
- Visit our home page and type your laptop brand and model into a search bar, just like you would when you google something.
- Get an estimate based on your laptop’s cosmetic and functional condition. And if the price sounds reasonable, checkout and receive a free shipping label.
- Package your gadget and its power adapter in a sturdy box and drop it off at any UPS store. That’s it. In a few short days, we’ll update you on your payment status.
You have plenty of options when it comes to selling pre-owned technology, especially if you live in a big city like Chicago. From Apple Trade-In to eBay or Craigslist, each option has its pros and cons. But if you value convenience and a quick turnaround, we suggest picking an online buy-back company. Anyway, do your research always, and if you have any questions, please drop us a line!